*Click on image for full-sized view.
The St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, located in the Bulgarian capital of Sofia, is a Bulgarian Orthodox cathedral built in the Neo-Byzantine style. Planned in 1879, construction began in 1882, with most of the work on it being completed in the early twentieth century. It is the second largest cathedral on the Balkan Peninsula (1st being the Cathedral of Saint Sava in Belgrade). Popular to tourists inside is a museum, which the church claims contains the largest collection of Orthodox icons in Europe.
Saint Alexander Nevsky was a Russian prince from the thirteenth century. He became something of a legend as he protected his land from Swedish, Muslim, and German invaders.