*Click on the photos to open up their full-sized view.
The Berlin Cathedral, or Berliner Dom in German, is an Evangelical church located in Germany’s capital city in the Lustgarten on Museumsinsel (Museum Island) in central Berlin. Its official name is Oberpfarr- und Domkirche zu Berlin (Supreme Parish and Cathedral Church of Berlin); its colloquial name as a cathedral is actually a bit inaccurate, as it has never been the seat of a bishop. A church has stood in its place for about seven centuries, though its went through several incarnations in terms of denomination of its parish as well as the architecture.
Today’s version that we are familiar with when visiting the Lustgarten not far from Alexanderplatz was completed in 1905, after demolishing the Neoclassical church that had been in its place since 1822 and was built by the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel. The current form was designed by Julius Raschdorff, a mixture of Baroque style and Italian Renaissance flair. During World War II, the Dom was damaged, first in 1940, when an Allied bombing blew out many of its windows, and again, more heavily, in 1944, when another bombing caused extensive damage to the lantern in the domed roof. Decades later, it was reconstructed and renovated so that we can admire it today.
Here’s a Google map of the Museumsinsel (center) with the Berliner Dom in the middle of the island, its large dome appearing sort of turquoise: