Here are some of the relevant travel news headlines and stories from the previous week through today:
- Attempted hijacking of airliner…. by copilot? – An Ethiopian Airlines co pilot who was en route from Addis Ababa to Rome was arrested after hijacking the aircraft and trying to fly it to Switzerland in an attempt to seek asylum. (BBC)
- Etihad flight plagued with numerous in-cabin fires – An Etihad flight was diverted after many fires were found in the lavatories onboard the plane, mysterious as they could not determine the arsonist at the time. (CNN)
- Qatar to UK all-business class flights open up – Qatar Airways will soon start a daily flight connecting Doha and London with an all-business-class cabin as the Gulf carrier expands one of its most popular routes.
- AirTran brand to be removed – Southwest Airlines, which acquired its rival airline some time ago, will retire the AirTran brand by the end of the year. (USA Today)
- Starwood picks Virgin Australia for partnership – The partnership between the hotel heavyweight and Virgin Australia will take effect soon, allowing members of both to swap points at a 1:1 ratio and more. (Aus BT)