Here are some of the relevant travel news headlines and stories from the previous week through today:
- Indonesian hotels see hits from cuts, ban – The new Indonesian President Widodo has banned civil servants from hosting meetings in hotels and cut the allowances they get for attending, harming the fragile hospitality industry. (Bloomberg)
- Delta continues to punish loyal customers – In another surprise move, Delta has completely removed their award charts from their site, and now seems free to charge travelers whatever it deems fit for award travel. (Skift)
- jetBlue starts accepting Apple Pay – The New York-based US airline has become the first in the industry to accept Apple’s new mobile payment system. (Verge)
- Danish capital sees change in security – After Copenhagen recently experienced shootings, the capital of Denmark is seeing heightened police presence in a place that used to be carefree and safe. (Bloomberg)
- Expedia and Orbitz join forces – Two of the travel industry’s heavyweights have combined, as Expedia buys out Orbitz for $1.6 billion. (BI)
Happy Valentine’s Day!